Flag

Flag

Monday, June 7, 2010

It's Only Illegal... If you get Caught!

To everyone at home reading this blog, I think there are a few things you should know about Rome: 

1. Pictures with Gladiators cost money... after you have already taken the photo.
2. Always carry change (coins) with you, because public restrooms do not exist.
3.Sitting down in a cafe will double the cost of everything you order.
4. Coca Cola is 4+ euros a can.
5. For a small fee, you can swim in the Trevi Fountain!
* I am telling you these things because my friends and I have had to learn them the hard way. 

Christine and Rebecca fell victim to the gladiators tumescent muscles and coruscating armor, and had to pay ten euros for a single picture. Amanda was livid when she had to dig through her purse to find 80cents to open the gates of the restroom after a four hour train ride. Nick and Gwen wanted a slice of pizza (advertised at 2.50 in the window) and had to pay double the price because they sat down at the small tables outside the pizzeria. Heather believes her Coca Cola was sent from the gods since she paid one euro per sip. As for me... well lets just say pictures will never do justice for my experience at the the Fontana di Trevi! 

After a small Italian boy used my camera as his wish token, the events of our day became notorious. Not knowing what consequences would ensue, I climbed into the Trevi Fountain to retrieve my camera. I was in and out faster than I can even remember, but I will never forget the feeling of what came next. The Italian police were standing in front of me demanding my passport. They explained that it is unlawful to set foot into the fountain, and the cost for my ignorance would be 161,82. Fortunately for me, I have crazy American friends who will stick up for me when I am too mortified to even walk. The police officer was very understanding and explained that he would not take me to jail because he saw that I was holding my soaking wet camera, and was not just some lunatic climbing on a famous Italian monument. Also, tourists from other countries explained to the police officer that they had seen the event in its entirety and it was all just a big misunderstanding. They explained that they saw the little boy throw my camera in the fountain then run away. The stated that they saw the boys mother scream expletives at me and tell me she would do nothing about my camera; and that she then ran off with her child. 

Now, I have to carry with me the carbon copy of the ticket the police issued and the receipt that I paid the fine... for five years. I felt so ashamed after the event I could barely speak. Now, I realize that I am one of the very few people to set foot into one of the most amazing pieces of Italian art. The others were movie stars, of course. And although my camera does not work, I would not take back a single second of my submergence into the Trevi Fountain.  

When in Rome...


Jordan

2 comments:

  1. I swam in the Trevi fountain when Rome won the world cup and climbed the statue of neptune... I win : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. LIES!!11! how did you end up in there anthony?

    ReplyDelete