Flag

Flag

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

When In Rome

I can honestly say that out of all the cities my group of friends and I visited in Italy, Rome, beats all of them, by a long run.  The city of Rome is everything I love.  The history, and the art, and even the nightlife are some of the things I was attracted to, that made it hard for me to get back on a train to Brescia.  If it was up to me, I would want to move the entire class to Rome and finish out the semester there (although, I'm sure that everyone would agree, we'd all be as broke as a joke!).

The weekend started with a 8 a.m. tour through Vatican City.  My two friends and I were overwhelmed with the art and the atmosphere of the Sistine Chapel.  For once in our lives, we had a hard time chatting because we were too busy taking in all the beautiful artwork we were presented with.  The day progressed with a visit to the Spanish Steps, and to cool off, for some of us, a nice refreshing 160 euro swim in the Trevi Fountain.  Which I can say, was the highlight of my trip (thanks jordan!)

Saturday was a very long, and exciting day.  We began the day with a tour of the Coliseum and the ancient Roman city.  The tour was very long, and the heat made it hard to focus, but luckily we had an intelligent and BEAUTIFUL tour guide, who made the tour run a lot smoother.  We finished the day up with a visit to the Pantheon and made our way to Campo di Fiore to experience what the saying "do as the Roman's do" really means.

Sunday was also an amazing day!  A few of us visited St. Peter's Basilica.  During our visit, we attended confession, as well as participated in a mass that was given in Italian.  It was nice for me, because as a catholic, everyone dreams of attending mass in the church, and I am privileged enough to say that I met my goal.  For those of you who do not dream of visiting the church, you should now!!!!!!!!!  It was a great way to end an amazing weekend!!!!!

In all, our trip to Rome was more than perfect.  It was an experience of a lifetime, and something I recommend to just about anyone who needs vacation ideas.  I had a hard time leaving Rome, because I enjoyed the atmosphere entirely too much, but I know one day I will return!  ..... When in Rome.



No comments:

Post a Comment