Flag

Flag

Monday, May 31, 2010

Firenze, Ti Amo

Ciao everyone!

This weekend was definitely an experience and a half. It all started with 11 of us attempting to book a reservation on a train to Florence. This was not easy when you do not speak Italian and are trying to work your way through a computerized ticket machine. Not only did the people working at the train station only speak Italian, but the police officers standing next to us didn't speak English either. We went and waited in line at the ticket office, only to find out the train we wanted was booked. We ended up having to get tickets for sunday morning. Sunday could not come soon enough, we were so excited for Florence. We have only ever heard good things about it. The Cathedral, the statue of David, and of course....THE SHOPPING! Their must have been a million stands on the streets and leather stores everywhere. However, let me get back on track. The shopping was fun, but the cathedral and Statue of David were MAGNIFICENT! I have never seen anything quite like the Cathedral. We caught a glimpse of it from a few blocks back and could see it through the buildings as we were approaching it. I was already in awe, you did not even need to see the whole thing to admire the beauty of it. Being up-close was almost too overwhelming, its beauty just kept you looking, and you would never want to stop! The walk up to the Statue of David was definitely a tough one, hill after hill after hill. It was absolutely perfect once you made it to the top. The entire town of Florence was at your fingertips. I felt so inferior to the world that surrounded me. We had lunch overlooking the entire city. I have only ever seen such beauty in movies, but now I was actually there. The train ride home was bitter sweet, I was happy to crawl into bed, but sad I know I would not be there again for a long time. I feel truly blessed.

I'm off to bed now, hoping to wake up for another wonderful experience tomorrow.

Crystal


No comments:

Post a Comment