Flag

Flag

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Two Different Worlds

Today we talked to English speaking classes within the high school we attend Italian class at.  It was a fun experience,and we all laughed the entire time!!   The three Italian students that I was paired up with, talked about the differences and similarities between the United States and their home country, Italy.  It was not surprising to see that we live in two completely different worlds.  The school day in Italy last from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. and attend class from Monday until Saturdays.  I looked at them and asked them how they felt about Saturday class, all responded with the same answer.  It is terrible and they hate it!!!  We also talked about how the students can choose whether or not they can study music or art, where as in my high school, it was mandatory to complete both of the two courses.  One other difference that I was blown away by was that the students are free to smoke outside of school during class time.  Some students were even lighting up with their teachers!  In my high school, it was frowned upon by the teachers to do this, and if you really felt it necessary to go out and smoke, you would of had to leave school property and go down the street and around the corner to do so.  Good luck fitting all of that in within 4 minutes.

The three students and myself also talked about other topics other than the school day.  In general, we all like to listen to the same music (Justin Timberlake and Lady Gaga) and pretty much partake in the same out of school activities such as shopping, going out with friends, and lounging on days we don't have school!  My favorite question that the students asked me, still have me laughing to this minutes!  The girls asked me if American schools can typically relate to the series of events that happens in the movie "Mean Girls".  This made me laugh because it is one of the most popular movies in America, and personally, is my favorite as well.  I told them some high schools are exactly the same as what you see, but you have to choose your friends wisely because you do not want to get mixed up in all that rudeness.  It also makes me laugh because American movies can sometimes make The United States look bad, and gives the assumption that rudeness, selfishness, and bad behavior is a common trait for all of us.  Today was an overall fun day and I can't wait to compare and contrast the differences between the two countries!! :)

Christinee

No comments:

Post a Comment