Flag

Flag

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Florence for the weekend

I honestly had no idea what to expect on my way to Florence. I have heard of the city, like most people, but had no idea what it was all about. Emanuela, a new friend I have met in Italy, taught me that the city was once considered the center of the world. Once I arrived there, I would say it still feels that way. There were people of all nationalities and languages there. The best part was almost all of the locals understood English so we could easily communicate with one another.

The city absolutely blew me away though. It was so awesome seeing a city that looks almost as if it has barely changed within the past few hundred years. We were told at breakfast one morning to visit the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore and climb to the top. An hour long wait to get inside and four hundred and sixty steps later I saw what is easily the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. The view of the entire city from atop the dome is breathtaking to say the least and cannot be expressed in words. Inside the dome was an awesome work of art depicting what I believed to be heaven, hell, and purgatory. The only bad thing regarding this visit was the fact that I did not have my camera on me. But nonetheless, the guys took some pictures of me and I will put them up as soon as I get a hold of them.


And then there was this guy who didn't like that I took his picture without giving him a euro..


On a side note, we actually saw where the Jersey Shore was casting and living. Go figure that I have to go to Italy to meet someone who lives in the same state as me.

- Drew


No comments:

Post a Comment